No matter what your occupation, there is always the potential to be injured on the job. However, some workers are at a higher risk of being involved in an accident than others. According to The Bureau of Labor and Statistics, 5,250 work-related deaths were reported in 2018.
Read on to learn which workers have the most dangerous job in America.
What Occupations Have the Highest Risk?
As reported by The Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the following workers were involved in the top fatal accidents of 2018.
- Logging workers
- Fishers and related fishing workers
- Aircraft pilots and flight engineers
- Refuse and recyclable material collectors
- Drivers, sales workers, and truck drivers
- Farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers
- Structural iron and steelworkers
- First-line supervisors of construction trades and extraction workers
- First-line supervisors of landscaping, lawn service, and groundskeeping workers.
How Are These Accidents Happening?
Out of all work-related injuries, incidents involving transportation were the most common fatal accident in 2018 totaling 2,080 deaths—that’s 40% of all work-related fatalities. Here are some other accident-related statistics you should know:
- Incidents involving contact with objects and equipment increased by 13%.
- Workers caught in running equipment increased by 39%.
- Workers struck by falling objects or equipment increased by 17%.
- Work-related suicides increased by 11%.
- Fatal falls, slips, and trips decreased by 11%. However, 791 incidents were still reported.
What Are Your Rights?
If you have been injured on the job, you have the right to seek compensation. However, taking on insurance companies without legal representation can be a daunting task. When it comes to defending your rights as an injured worker, having an experienced personal injury attorney in your corner can increase the chances of a favorable outcome so you can receive the maximum compensation that you deserve.
Injured in a Work Accident? Contact Us Today
Big cases require big resources. If you have been injured in a work accident, our Louisville attorneys can protect your rights against the interests of large insurance companies. With a proven track record of securing results in complex cases, we’ll fight to get you the maximum compensation that you deserve.
Contact Dolt, Thompson, Shepherd & Conway, PSC at (502) 242-8872 to learn how we may assist you.