Even though fewer drivers are on the road due to the pandemic, there has been an increase in deadly wrecks on our nation’s highways. According to the latest data reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), it is estimated that 28,190 people died in traffic crashes from January through September 2020, up from 26,941 fatal crashes reported in the same period in 2019. Read on to learn more about deadly wrecks in Louisville.
Louisville, Kentucky Crash Stats
The Kentucky State Police reports that there were 501 fatal crashes in 2020, and in Jefferson County alone, there were 80 fatal crashes. Narrowing things down, here are some crash stats that show why deadly motor vehicle crashes have increased in Louisville.
According to a recent news story published by WDRB.com, here is a summary of some crash stats from January through October 2020 in Louisville that was uncovered:
- 62 people died on Louisville roads compared to 49 during the same period in 2019 (+27%).
- Life-threatening injury accidents increased by more than 30% (from 27 to 39).
- Travel speeds have increased since the start of the pandemic – some over 100 miles per hour.
Excessive speeding, in general, is a large risk factor in fatal crashes, as well as distracted drivers and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
How to Stay Safe on Kentucky Roads
While it’s impossible to prevent being involved in a car crash entirely, here are some road safety reminders to help you reduce the risk of being involved in a car crash:
- Always ensure that you and your passengers buckle up.
- Drive defensively.
- Limit distractions (texting, talking on the phone, eating while driving, etc.).
- Obey speed limits and signs.
- Position mirrors and seats properly before driving.
- Keep up with proper car maintenance (inspections, oil changes, checking brakes, etc.).
Injured in a Car Accident? We Can Help
Being involved in a car crash is a devastating event and often comes with severe or life-altering injuries. If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, you may be eligible to recover compensation. The Louisville car accident lawyers at Dolt, Thompson, Shepherd & Conway, PSC is here to support and guide you every step of the way when going through a difficult time.
Learn how we may assist you by calling (502) 244-7772 today.