A Mother’s Injuries During Pregnancy and Birth
Birth injuries in a mother are physical injuries sustained during childbirth. Birth injuries to the mother typically occur in the perineal area or to the pelvic floor. Sadly, in some cases, maternal injuries can result in death. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that about 700 women die each year in the United States due to pregnancy or delivery complications.
Read on to learn more about how birth injuriesoccur in mothers.
Perineal and Pelvic Floor Injuries
There are two types of birth injuries in the mother:
Perineal injuries may include the following:
- Perineal tears (tears between the vagina and anus)
- Episiotomy (surgical cuts to help enlarge the vaginal opening to accommodate the baby’s size)
- Nerve damage in the perineal area (numbness, tingling sensations)
- Hemorrhoids (swollen veins around the anus)
Pelvic floor injuries may include the following:
- Damage to pelvic floor muscles (muscles inside the pelvis that hold the uterus, bladder, and bowels in place and can be damaged by stretching and tearing)
- Pelvic organ prolapse (weakened or damaged pelvic muscles can cause organs to drop down to the vagina, which can result in bladder or bowel issues)
The Risks of Maternal Death During Pregnancy and Childbirth
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the complications that develop during pregnancy or childbirth that pose a risk of death are preventable or treatable. According to the CDC, the leading causes of death in mother’s during pregnancy or childbirth include:
- Heart disease and stroke
- Obstetric emergencies (severe bleeding, amniotic fluid entering the bloodstream).
- Severe bleeding
- High blood pressure (preeclampsia).
- Cardiomyopathy (disease of the heart muscle)
The CDC also reports that 60% of all pregnancy-related deaths are preventable. Proper monitoring by your doctor or other healthcare providers is critical for spotting potential issues and treating problems before they further develop or become worse. A 2018 investigative report by USA Today uncovered that thousands of women in the United States suffer life-altering injuries or die at childbirth due to lack of care at hospitals. You can read the full USA Today article here.
Learn Your Legal Options After Suffering a Birth Injury
The pregnancy journey is an exciting one as you wait to meet your precious bundle of joy. When the journey turns to devastating challenges and a mother suffers a birth injury, it can be a taxing experience to endure.
At Dolt, Thompson, Shepherd & Conway, PSC, we understand the challenges mothers face after being injured during the birthing process. We are committed to helping you hold careless medical professionals accountable for the harm they caused. We are here to give you and your family support through this difficult time.
Call (502) 244-7772 to speak to one of our lawyers today and learn your rights.