While all car accidents carry the risk of injury, there are some types of car accidents that produce more life-threatening injuries and fatalities than others. Knowing the most dangerous types of car accidents and recognizing their causes may reduce your chances of a collision next time you travel Kentucky’s roads and highways.
If you or your loved one are involved in a serious car accident through no fault of your own, an experienced Louisville personal injury attorney may be able to help. Reach out to an attorney in your area to find out if you qualify to file a car accident claim.
A successful accident claim could provide compensation to cover your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other accident-related losses.
Most Dangerous Types of Car Accidents
Car accidents are a leading cause of death in the United States and increased by 10.5% from 2020 to 2021. Car accidents in Kentucky rose from 780 in 2020 to 806 in 2021, according to the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet’s Office of Highway Safety.
Among the most dangerous, and deadly, types of car accidents are the following:
- Head-on collisions. Head-on collisions occur when two vehicles’ front-ends collide. While relatively rare, these accidents account for approximately 11% of all traffic fatalities. Speeding increases the likelihood of death or serious injury in a head-on collision;
- Side impact or T-bone accidents. Side impact or T-bone accidents happen when one car’s front end collides with the passenger side of another car. These accidents usually occur at intersections and are responsible for nearly 20% of traffic fatalities. Multiple passengers may be hit by the oncoming car in a side impact accident with little to protect them from the collision;
- Rear-end accidents. Rear-end accidents range in severity. While rarely fatal, these crashes can cause serious injuries including spinal cord, neck, and back injuries;
- Rollover accidents. Rollover accidents normally involve only one vehicle. They are atypical but responsible for around 7.5% of traffic fatalities; and
- Fixed object collisions. Fixed object collisions are the cause of approximately 30% of all crash fatalities. A fixed object collision happens when a car collides with an immovable object like a tree or stone pillar;
The best way to reduce your chances of being injured or killed in a car accident is to obey Kentucky’s traffic laws and regulations and maintain safe driving practices.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Kentucky
One of the most common causes of car accidents in Kentucky and the United States is distracted driving. Distracted driving is engaging in any activity besides driving while behind the wheel including but not limited to:
- Texting or talking on the phone;
- Disciplining children; and
- Using GPS.
Other common reasons for car accidents are:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- Aggressive driving or road rage;
- Failing to obey traffic signs and signals; and
If a negligent driver hurt you or killed your loved one in Kentucky, speak with an experienced Louisville car accident attorney about filing a personal injury claim to cover your accident-related expenses.
Contact an Experienced Kentucky Car Accident Attorney Today
When you need honest advice and results that count after a car accident, call Dolt, Thompson, Shepherd & Conway, PSC. Our Louisville car accident attorneys have sought justice and fair compensation for injured Kentuckians for more than 30 years.
Dolt, Thompson, Shepherd & Conway, PSC has the knowledge and resources to fight for you and your family. You can reach us at our Louisville office to schedule a complimentary consultation.
At Dolt, Thompson, Shepherd & Conway, PSC, there are no upfront costs and no attorneys’ fees until we recover compensation for you!