Louisville Cervical Cancer Misdiagnosis Attorneys
Discovering you have cervical cancer can come as a great shock. Although you may have experienced various symptoms including missed periods, painful urination or pelvic discomfort, it may have been easy to dismiss them as something else. For the same reason, your doctor may have failed to properly diagnose your cervical cancer as well.
The Louisville cancer misdiagnosis attorneys at Dolt, Thompson, Shepherd & Conway, PSC represent women and families dealing with the difficulties associated with misdiagnoses of cervical cancer. For more than 30 years, our skilled Louisville medical malpractice attorneys have helped clients in Kentucky pursue compensation for damages resulting from medical negligence.
Contact our law office to speak with a cancer misdiagnosis lawyer in Louisville that understands the impact a cervical cancer misdiagnosis can have on your life. We will evaluate your case free of charge.
How is Cervical Cancer Diagnosed?
Whether they are experiencing the signs of cervical cancer or not, sexually active women should have regular Pap smears to look for irregular or abnormal cells. If such cells are present, medical providers should follow up with diagnostic tests such as:
- Colposcopy — using an instrument called a colposcope to look at the cervix
- Biopsy – taking a sample of the abnormal tissue for further testing
- Endocervical scraping – scraping and removing samples of tissue lining the endocervical canal
- Cone biopsy – a cone-shaped piece of tissue is removed from the cervix
A physician who does not oversee diagnostic testing or misinterprets results can cause successful treatment to be delayed. This delay could be fatal.
Top Reasons for Cervical Cancer Misdiagnosis
Cervical cancer has many of the same symptoms as other medical conditions, which is one of the reasons it is commonly misdiagnosed. Even women who get regularly tested for cervical cancer may still experience a misdiagnosis because their doctor or the testing lab made a mistake.
Cervical cancer misdiagnosis often results from:
- A doctor’s failure to recognize the symptoms of cervical cancer and not perform further tests
- A doctor’s failure to learn about a patient’s lifestyle choices that could increase their risk of cervical cancer
- A doctor’s failure to recommend a Pap smear to a patient who is sexually active
- A doctor’s or nurse’s failure to collect a proper Pap sample
- A lab tech misinterpreting a test or performing an incorrect test
What Are The Consequences of Cervical Cancer Misdiagnosis?
Cervical cancer misdiagnosis is far too common, often leading to grave consequences. In fact, it’s estimated that 4,290 women will die from cervical cancer in 2021. Cervical cancer that is diagnosed in the early stages has a 5-year survival rate is around 92%. However, if the cancer has spread to surrounding organs or tissue before it is diagnosed, the 5-year survival rate drops to 58%. When a woman does not receive a correct or timely cervical cancer diagnosis, she may lose precious weeks or months of treatment that can reduce the spread of her cancer and even save her life.
Fight For Justice With Our Louisville Cervical Cancer Lawyers
Doctors who fail to diagnose cervical cancer must be held responsible for the harm inflicted on patients and their families. At Dolt, Thompson, Shepherd & Conway, PSC, our Louisville personal injury lawyers have been fighting for the injured in Kentucky since 1986. Our firm is led by experienced trial attorneys, a member of the prestigious Inner Circle of Advocates, and in-house medical staff. Our team of attorneys have won some of the largest verdicts and settlements in Kentucky, resulting in over $500 million recovered on behalf of our clients.
If you were misdiagnosed with cervical cancer, you may be able to take legal action against the negligent party. Contact us to learn more about your rights. Call 502-244-7772 to speak to our Louisville injury attorneys today.
- Product Liability Settlement $95 Million
- Hospital Liability Settlement $55 Million
- Product Liability Settlement $30 Million
- Truck Accident Jury Verdict $27.3 Million
- We Have Some of the Largest Verdicts & Settlements in KY
- Our Senior Partner is an Inner Circle of Advocates Member
- We Have Over 5 Decades of Experience
- In-House Medical Staff to Assist in Case Preparation & Investigations
- You Won’t Pay Any Upfront Costs
- Respected Among Other Firms For Our Reputation in Handling Complex Cases